Despite the numerous benefits of blogging, the daunting task of creating and managing a blog can be a deterrent. However, blogging can be manageable and extremely effective!
This is the second part in a two part series on blogging for success. If you are new to blogging, check out Blogging For Success (Part 1) to learn more about the benefits of blogging, blogging platforms, and features that every blog should have. This part will discuss content planning, content ideas, and ways to promote your blog posts.
Content is the fuel that will keep your blogging initiative alive and relevant. The process of developing content is challenging, and requires a thorough process and schedule to ensure that your blog strategy stays intact. A rule-of-thumb is that the average blog does not begin to build authority until 50+ blogs are published.
To guide content, define your target audience(s), then brainstorm and define a content strategy and plan. Most likely you will have primary and secondary target audiences, so specific content should be developed and geared towards each audience. Remember: content should not just be about you or your company or prospects and customers will tune out quickly! Research and identify topics that are important to each target audience.
The content plan should have a ratio of content for each audience, company and product information, industry topics, and other items like case studies, vlogs, and curated content. The content plan should define a schedule, with blogs for the next week or month defined, and rougher ideas identified for later dates. Can’t come up with ideas for content? Keep reading!
25 Blog Content Ideas
- Use your existing case studies or create a new one
- Profile staff member or industry professional
- Explain your corporate culture and mission
- Make a how-to post on a topic related to your company. Don’t be afraid to share.
- Post an FAQ or discuss a common customer support question
- Use your press releases (but please, don’t copy-paste, refurbish them!)
- Announce hosted events, trade shows, conferences, webinars or sponsoring events
- Talk about awards, recognitions or good reviews achieved by your company
- Blog about your company’s history, how it started, the founders and their background
- Make a list of free resources in your industry
- Any holidays coming up? Put your industry spin on them.
- Highlight a product or service. Don’t sell; educate.
- Share your presentations with others.
- Make a statement about future trends. Any predictions for the future in your industry?
- Add a personal touch – showcase your employees. What do they do, what is their day like?
- Talk about problems in your industry and provide your solution. It’s okay to rant and rave.
- Provide tips for better productivity, processes, etc.
- Share your company’s stats (website traffic, sales, budgets, etc.) in a case study form
- Ask your readers a question. Get their input on decisions.
- Showcase industry best practices, let them know you’re on board
- Critique competitor’s case study or white paper. Voice your opinion, but be fair.
- Make a list of tools you use on daily basis
- Share what you’ve learned over the past month, or year
- Provide a guide for best resources, people, twitter followers, etc. in your industry
- Discuss recent or past industry related news and your take on them
Promoting Your Blog Post
You’ve spent all that time creating great content and optimizing your blog post and it has finally been published. You’re not done yet! It is crucial to promote your blogs posts to further increase your traffic.
Do you have any other content or promotion ideas? Please let us know in the comment box below and share this post with those who are interested in blogging!